Reading Curriculum Statement
Here at Draycott Community Primary School, we promote a love for reading and equip all children with the skills needed to become enthused independent readers.
- We use the following schemes to support reading across the school: Sails, Dandelions, Rigby Rockets, Big Cats and the Lighthouse Guided Reading Scheme. Pupils read these books at designated times during the school day and are also expected to read them at home.
All children have a Home School Record book to keep a log of their reading habits and this is checked on a weekly basis. In order to further encourage the children, reward systems are in place.
Adults frequently listen to pupils read in order to monitor their progress, and interventions take place for those identified as needing extra support.
- We also have a school library where children have access to a range of fiction and non-fiction books, as well as a range of recommended reads, which are displayed prominently in school.
- Each classroom has an exciting and engaging reading corner designed to promote a love of reading.
- Guided reading takes place across the school daily in Foundation Stage and KS1. During this session, the teacher has a discussion with a group of children about a particular book appropriate to their level. While this is taking place, other groups are carrying out an independent book related activity.
- In KS2, children take part in daily whole class reading sessions.
- Reading is also celebrated in school through themed reading weeks and national book days.